Saturday, July 04, 2009

Independence

Independence Day 2009 and I'm about to embark on a solo road trip for 8 or 9 days. The trip didn't start out to be solo, but has ended up that way. Consequently, I've spent some time thinking about the privilege of being independent. On a serious note, I realize that many women around the world do not have the opportunities that I have, and I am deeply grateful for my health and circumstances. On a playful side, I say, "Let the good times roll!"
Last year on July 4th I attended a barbecue at the home of a woman who was nearly 96. She still lived in the home she had inhabited for 70 years. While she had help from family and a nurse, she was able-bodied, clear thinking and made her own decisions about her day to day life. She displayed enviable independence, and I've been thinking about her all day, too.

1 comment:

  1. It's such an adventure that you're heading out on! I admire your spirit and can't wait to hear about the trip. Happy trails!!!

    ReplyDelete