Sunday, January 09, 2011

San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico


The Travel section in today's New York Times features an article entitled, "The 41 Best Places to Go in 2011." After I read the list, I asked myself, "Where is the first place I want to go in 2011?" My response was quick- Mexico.

As soon as I got home from Mexico last summer, I wanted to return. I wanted more of the food, the light, the quiet beauty of San Miguel, the noise and bustle of Mexico City. However, since I often feel that way after a trip, I knew my inclination at that moment was not an accurate measure. But, here I am six months later thinking about an extended visit to Mexico, most specifically to San Miguel.

The Lonely Planet Guide to Mexico states, "Many people say that San Miguel is a bit like a Mexican Disneyland for foreign (mainly American) retirees." I hate to think of San Miguel in that way, but it is partly true. Out of the 62,000 residents of San Miguel, more than 10,000 homes are owned by foreigners. There is a large American ex-pat community; many people in San Miguel speak English. The city is small, welcoming, safe and incredibly beautiful.

While I was there, I stayed at the Casa Quetzal Hotel. I'd recommend it 100 percent, as would many others according to TripAdvisor. The owner is Cynthia Price, who is from Vermont. Along with a prime location and wonderful hospitality, the hotel also has pancakes with real maple syrup for breakfast.
http://www.casaquetzalhotel.com/

My days in San Miguel consisted of a cooking class and market tour; walking and browsing; Bellas Artes art school; fabulous, fabulous food ; sunshine; Talavera pottery from the Mexican Connexion; a side trip to the city of Guanajuato; music at the plaza in the evening. My only difficulty was finding a place to run. I tried one day, but the roads are steep and cobblestone, so I was very cautious. Also, the streets are not in a grid, so it wasn't easy to create a mental map. There is a Starbucks near the main square (much to the displeasure of the locals) and I used that as a handy landmark.
http://www.casadesierranevada.com/web/omig/sazon.jsp
http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com/bellas-artes-el-nigromante.html

Soon I will have to decide what to do in the new year. My study of Spanish has fallen by the wayside, so resuming my practice is also one of my resolutions. While a return to Mexico is at the top of the list, there's also Barcelona and Argentina- where I can combine Spanish and tango. They all sound good to me!



No comments:

Post a Comment